TEN COMMANDMENTS FOR A HEALTHY HEART
- Know your risk factors for heart disease.
- Talk to your doctor about reducing your risk of heart disease.
- Have your blood pressure checked regularly.
- Know your cholesterol numbers. [These include total cholesterol, HDL or "good" cholesterol, LDL or "bad" cholesterol, and triglycerides.]
- Have your blood sugar level checked for diabetes.
- Do not smoke cigarettes or use other tobacco products.
- Eat for your heart health.
- Get regular physical activity . [At least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity on most or all days of the week.]
- Aim for a healthy weight.
- Know the signs and symptoms of a heart attack and the importance of seeking medical help immediately.